I have a UniFi AP’s at home, two to be exact. It’s likely overkill, however I am in “IT” and I have to do everything overboard at home. Plus my plaster walls inside my house are terrible for wireless connectivity. I hard wire what I can, the remaining such as phones and tablets have no choice.
I will be forthright, I really like the system and it’s potential, it has some awesome features and some software bugs I have run into time to time. Hence the post…
I new router at home meant I was changing my IP scheme, relatively easy task once AD/DNS was flipped over. The problem I ran into was once the scheme changed the AP’s lost connectivity with the controller and POW! Wireless Down!
No worries, I thought, reboot, get DHCP, and they are back… No
No worries, I thought, reset to factory defaults, and they are back… No
No worries, … Damn these things were not coming back…
Aside from the factory resets using UniFi Discover to finding a small enough paper clip for resets, no dice. I ended up using SSH and the UniFi default admin UN/PS to access the AP’s. Executing info gives me..
Status: Server Reject (http://188.8.131.52:8080/inform)
In troubleshooting I found that the controller was rejecting the AP’s. To fix, do the following in order.
- Reset (each) AP to factory defaults
- Remove (each) from the device section of the controller software/site
- Run “set-inform http://184.108.40.206:8080/inform” on one at a time
- Within the device section of the controller, select adopt on the AP you ran the command on
I found a few other posts on the issue, ranging from the obscure to strange. Mine was relatively simple and avoidable. Lesson learned, have putty handy at all times.
AP Firmware: 220.127.116.1189